Caramelized onions is one of the most versatile add-ons around; it goes great with nearly everything (sort of like a certain pâté). While the flavor of caramelized onions is certainly a complex one, the recipe to make it is surprisingly simple.
What you need:
• Three or more red onions medium to large. (Onion type can be swapped out if necessary).
• 1 tablespoon of brown sugar.
• Butter (can be swapped out for olive oil).
• Your finest skillet (and a stove or grill to cook upon).
• Peel the onions, cut off the stems, and then halve them. Lay the halves down on their flat side and then begin cutting them; you can choose how thick or thin to make your slices (we believe thinner slices make for a better spread).
• Melt butter in skillet on medium temperature and mix in onions.
• Stir a tablespoon of brown sugar (this is both for flavor and to allow the onions to caramelize faster).
• Lower temperature to simmer and stir on and off for the next twenty to thirty minutes. The longer you cook the onions for, the more caramelized they will become. Note: cooking at a higher temperature will only result in burnt onions, not faster caramelization.
• Enjoy with Alexian Pâté!